Steel sleepers are used for standard railway tracks and turnouts subjected to medium or heavy axle loads. They are lightweight and dimensionally more accurate than wooden or concrete ones. Kontinental Steel offers high quality, and a wide range of steel sleeper designs, including ones for heavier axle loads and higher speeds.
The principle benefits of steel sleepers are:
- Reduced ballast requirement, leading to time and cost savings at installation.
- Lightweight design, leading to ease of handling.
- Improved track stability, therefore reduced maintenance.
- Environmental benefits due to recycling of steel.
- It has lower cost compared to wooden sleepers.
Kontinental Steel's sleepers seek optimal technical solutions combined with a reduction in the life cycle costs of their infrastructure.
- We offer a wide range of steel sleeper designs for different applications, from metre gauge railways, through to mainline operation including heavy axle loads and high speeds.
- They tend to be used on railway lines that do not have block signalling and level crossings, as unless properly insulated, the conductive metal of the sleeper would provide a pathway to short out the track circuits.
- Trough section sleepers are used in narrow gauge railways, such as for mines and leisure railways, corrugated section sleepers are used in miniature railways in leisure parks, and steel curved radius sleepers are suitable for use in the tunnelling industry.
Base plates are elements required at the end of columns to distribute the concentrated load of the column over a much larger area of the material that supports it. At present Kontinental Steel base plates used for public railway and lightrail.
The base plate pads show the desired stiffness in the relevant load area, they have a circular cavity in their middle and are thinner in the area of contact with the rail foot. It is thereby achieved that at an equal vertical stiffness the rail configuration in the outer rail foot area has a higher stiffness (no tilting). Base plates are generally used to take the load of Rail and distribute the load to the sleepers. Base plates offer proven economies and are recommended for all gauges using all different rail sections.
Base plates offer many advantages:
- They distribute the load from the rail to the ties, provide uniform bearing surface for the rail and prevent rail movement.
- They provide proper cant and obtain central loading and more uniform wear on the railhead.
- They hold the rail rigidly to gauge and protect ties against undue wear, thereby prolonging the length of service. Base plates are fabricated from heavy hot-rolled steel sections which are punched and sheared to size and are available in single or double shoulder design.
- Kontinental Steel facilities offer expert service for punching, drilling, and fabricating track material to exact specifications.
Small Rails For Mines And Collieries
Kontinental Steel have mills that produced rails for the railroads in mine and collieries Good rail track standards are fundamental to the safe and efficient operation of rail transport systems underground in mines and collieries. the design and layout of rail track needs to be incorporated into the overall planning of the mine and collieries.
The strong metallurgical properties of head-hardened rails are achieved through a unique production system. At Kontinental, high-temperature steel from the rolling mill is cooled with controlled water jets, creating a structure ideally suited for high-strength rails.
- Railroads brought raw materials like timber, coal, and iron ore to factories. Then they would take the products of the factories, like lumber, oil, steel, and machines and deliver them all over the states.
- These rails are used for tracks that carry heavy loads, for acceleration and deceleration sections of railway lines, for railway switches, crossings or expansion joints, and in small-radius curves.
- Head-hardened rails enable trains to travel faster, at greater frequencies and with heavier cargo.
- As a transport lifeline, railways have to continually innovate. And steel is playing a pivotal role in helping networks carry people and goods faster and further.